- Posted by ACE Home Services
- On April 24, 2017
- a/c tune-up, AC, ACE Home Services, air conditioning, DIY, Tune-Up
Performing regular maintenance service on your A/C is imperative to the health and lifespan of your HVAC system. Scheduling seasonal tune-ups helps ensure the performance of your unit, lower your energy costs, prevent costly breakdowns, extend the unit’s lifespan, and ultimately save you energy and money. We highly suggest you hire a certified and experienced technician to perform full tune-up on your A/C at least once a year. However, the following are tips for homeowners that can be performed in between tune-ups to help maintain your A/C unit.
See also: What is the typical HVAC tune-up cost?
DIY Maintenance Hacks
Here are some simple steps you can take to help maintain your A/C unit:
- First and foremost, safety! Make sure you disconnect the electricity to the unit before you begin any work.
- Clean the outside unit by removing any leaves, sticks, or debris that has gathered.
- Rinse off your compressor with a garden hose.
- Regularly check and change A/C filters as needed, or according to the instructions of the filter’s manufacturer.
- Regularly check the fan belt tension and check for any cracks and leaks from hoses.
Call For Backup
If you ever feel uncomfortable performing any of the following actions above, simply call your neighborhood HVAC technician to assist you. Not only will they ensure a full and effective inspection, they are trained to safely work with the electrical and chemical aspects in HVAC systems. They can clean the internal components of your A/C, while updating your refrigerant levels and inspecting your system for potential threats or hidden issues. They can also provide you with a full report and any recommended repairs that can help ensure your A/C’s performance throughout the summer. Stay prepared by mailing your A/C unit!