- Posted by ACE Home Services
- On June 20, 2017
- Bathtub, Drain
Your bathtub drain is one of the most used drains in your home. Bathtub drains can become clogged with hair, soap, oils, products, and other things. Over time, these things can accumulate and completely block your drain. If you have ever been showering, and looked down and noticed several inches of dirty tub water pooling at your feet, then you may have a clogged drain. Fortunately, we have a way you can remove the clog without having to call a professional plumber to come snake the drain.
Three Proven Methods for Unclogging Bathtub Drain Blockages
Here are the three most effective ways to unclog a bathtub drain.
Option 1: Use a Plunger
Many homeowners have success unclogging their bathtub drain just by using a plunger. Here’s how:
- Seal off the overflow drain with duct tape, which is usually located on the wall of the tub and in line with the faucet
- Remove the stopper in the main drain by unscrewing it or turning it back and forth
- Fill the tub with hot water, about 1 to 2 inches worth
- Place the plunger over the drain and make sure that the cup completely seals itself on the surface of the tub
- Quickly, and forcefully, push the plunger up and down at least six times, making sure the seal is intact
- Repeat this step until the drain becomes cleared
- Once cleared, remove the duct tape and replace the stopper
Option 2: Use a Hanger
If the plunger doesn’t work for you, you can try the old wire hanger trick. All you do is unwind a wire hanger, keeping the hook intact. Insert the hook, head-first, into the drain and pull up and down repeatedly. You can even try twisting the hanger to help catch the clog. Once you have caught the clog on the hook, pull the hanger out of the drain and dispose of the clog. That’s it!
Option 3: Call the Pros
If you still can’t get rid of that clog, then it may be time to call your friends at ACE Home Services. Our trustworthy plumbers are experienced and trained to tackle any plumbing problem you may have, whether it’s in the bathtub or kitchen sink. Call ACE today at (602) 483-6492 to schedule a service call!