Every year on April 22, we celebrate Earth Day, the annual event to show our individual and communal support for environmental protection. Although Earth Day is only once a year, there are several actions you can take to demonstrate your support and make a difference in your conservation efforts year-round!
Here’s How You Can Help
Water is a limited, precious resource that is vital to our health, and our planet’s health. The following are ideas that you can implement to help lower your water conservation and make a difference in your efforts to protect the environment:
- Monitor your home’s water usage. Challenge yourself to limit water use while washing dishes, brushing teeth, or showering. This is a simple and effective way to save water every day.
- If you have plants, water them with salvaged water. For example, keep a bucket in the shower to capture water while you wait for it to heat up. You can also set up rain buckets, and discipline yourself to wash your veggies in pans so that you don’t run excess water from the faucet.
- When you run the dishwasher or washing machine, make sure you are running full loads so you can cut down on your overall water usage from the amounts of loads you run.
- When gardening or landscaping, make a xeriscaping plan that uses native plants and does not require additional water or irrigation.
- Pay attention to your water meter! If you notice your water meter spiking, you will probably see a increase in your monthly water bill. You can challenge yourself to decrease the amount of water your meter reads each month. Plus, if you do decrease your water usage and notice the meter staying the same, it could signal you have a leak or plumbing issue. This can help you prevent larger, more disastrous issues from occurring.
- When shopping for a new dishwasher, washing machine, or plumbing fixture, look for models with advanced technology that are designed to use less water and are energy efficient. These appliances lower your environmental impact and can save you money in the long run.
Still Have Questions?
If you find yourself in need of help with any of your plumbing upgrades or household improvements, call ACE Home Services! We are available now, and can tackle any project! Call today and ask how we can help you save water, energy, and money!