The worst kind of plumbing leak is a hidden one. These are common and can result in severe damages and costly repairs. A pipe in the wall, or under the floor, can crack and begin to leak, slowly flooding your home without you even knowing. Your water bill will slowly go up while mold and mildew begin to rot your home’s woodwork. Failing to find where this hidden leak can ruin the integrity of your homes internal structure and leave you piled in remediation bills. Avoid hidden leaks from damaging your home by following these tips!
Pay Attention to Your Water Meter
As a homeowner, it’s important that you pay close attention to your water meter. If you notice that your meter is going up, even though you aren’t increasing your water usage, then you probably have an issue that requires immediate attention. Your water meter can help you understand an unexplained peak in your water bill and hint that one of your pipes or fixtures is compromised.
If you do notice a jump in your bills, then use this trick to test if you have a hidden leak:
- Turn off all your appliances in your home that use water (including ice machines, sprinklers, dishwasher, etc.)
- Make sure no one is using any water for the next couple of hours
- Pay attention to your water meter – if its keeps ticking, and you aren’t using any appliances or water, then you have a leak!
Hide and Go Seek with a Hidden Leak
Once you have determined that you have a leak, your next job is to find it! This can be difficult, but there are some places to check to help you rule out where that sneaky leak may be hiding:
- Check all pipes, faucets, handles, and valves of all your appliances that use water
- Check your irrigation system outside
- Check the sprinklers and garden hose
- Check your water heater
- Look around your house for any discolored or sagging spots on the walls and ceilings
- Look for any mold or mildew growing
If you can’t find any signs of a leak, then it’s time to call in the professionals! Don’t let a hidden leak sit for too long, you could end up with a total system failure or your plumbing system or costly flood. If you ever find yourself in the face of an emergency, you can call ACE Home Services!