- Posted by ACE Home Services
- On July 30, 2016
- Cold Mist Humidifier, Hot Mist Humidifier, Humidifier
Humidifiers are a great way to keep your home comfortable. They help maintain just the right level of humidity, regardless of the season. Not having enough humidity in your home can lead to problems with allergies, dried-out skin, and more.
Choosing the right humidifier for your Phoenix area home can be a bit tricky, but by keeping some important features in mind, you can make a better decision about your home and its humidifier needs.
Types of Humidifiers
There are two main types of humidifiers. One type uses cool mist to add moisture to the air, while the other uses warm mist to do the same. The type you choose is really up to you, as their price ranges and operation are very similar.
Cool mist humidifiers might be a better option for families with kids, because warm mist humidifiers do carry the potential to burn curious fingers and faces that might get too close. Regardless of which type you choose, it’s important to make sure it’s easy to clean. Bacteria can grow inside any humidifier, so easy cleaning is essential for your health.
Along with warm and cool mist humidifiers, there is one other type of humidifier, called a whole-home humidifier. These humidifiers are placed in your home’s air ducts or furnace, and they’re an excellent option for humidifying the whole house. While warm and cool mist models can be easily purchased and put into use by just about anyone, whole home models need to be professionally installed because they tie into your home’s plumbing and air duct systems.
There are a lot of different unit sizes available on the market, and the one that’s right for you will be one that has the capacity to work in the rooms where you need more humidity. Other important features include:
- Easy cleaning – As mentioned above, your unit should be easy to clean. It should be emptied, rinsed, and dried every day. Once a week, it should be cleaned thoroughly with vinegar to remove any deposits that have built up in the unit. A mild bleach solution may also be used, but make sure you read the manufacturer’s instructions on cleaning before you get started.
- Easy portability and use – The unit you choose should be easy to move from one spot to another for cleaning and use. The tank should be able to fit underneath the faucet in your sink. It should be portable and light, especially if elderly family members will be responsible for moving or cleaning it.
- Easy controls – Some humidifiers for home use have functions that make them much more user-friendly. One of these is a humidistat, which works like a thermostat to turn off the unit when the desired humidity level is reached. Some models are also available with timers so that they can be set to turn on before you get home, allowing you to come into a house that is properly humidified. The drawback to this is that water sitting for so long in the tank can pose problems with bacteria growth, so use this feature wisely and clean the unit well every day.
Humidifier Installation and Professional Help
At ACE Home Services, we’ve helped Phoenix area residents stay comfortable for two decades. Whether it’s time for a seasonal HVAC check or you need help selecting a humidifier or with whole home humidifier installation, our experienced professionals are ready to help. Our service calls are free, and we never charge extra for night, weekend, or holiday calls. Contact us today for professional help choosing and installing a humidifier in your Phoenix home.