When purchasing a new washing machine, you want to choose one that accommodates the needs of your household and is a worthwhile investment. Modern models are designed to be energy efficient and use less water, making them smart purchases if you are looking to make a difference in your environmental impact and your bank account. Depending on the layout of your home and the structure of the plumbing system, you may be able to install it yourself without needing a plumber. Keep reading to learn how to safely hook up your washing machine and serve as your own plumber!
Save Money By Installing Your Own Machine!
When purchasing a new machine, some stores and companies may offer free installations. However, some places charge a hefty fee for installations, which may not fit within your budget. If you are looking for the more economical route, you can easily install the machine yourself and put that installation money back in your pocket.
Before you buy a new machine, make sure it it the proper size and dimensions. You may also want to make sure it will fit through the doorway if your laundry room has limited entrances or access. Also, keep in mind that washing machines are heavy! Make sure you have the proper equipment and manpower to safely move the machine into your home.
Heres how to install your new unit
- Attach the washing machine’s water supply hoses onto the back of the machine – they should be marked as to which is for hot water and which is for cold!
- Connect the water supply hoses to the correct valves on the pipes connected to your plumbing system. Tighten by hand first, then use pliers to ensure a tight grip.
- Put the drain pipe into the sink or standpipe.
- Once everything is connected correctly, make sure the machine is level and then plug it into the electrical outlet.
- Turn on the water supply valves and perform a sample run, to make sure there are no leaks.
- If you notice a leak, double check your connections and try again. If the problem proceeds, then you will ultimately need to contact a professional plumber to assist you.