Your home’s plumbing system is made up of a complex network of pipes, some of which are underground. If your water bill has gone up, despite not increasing your water usage, you may have a leak. If you are not getting the adequate amount of water to some of your appliances, this may also indicate that you have a leak. If this leak is underground, it may be hard to detect. Fortunately, there are ways you can check to see if you have an underground pipe leak. Keep in mind that early leak detection is key to preventing major damage.
How to Determine if You Have an Underground Plumbing Leak
If you think that you may have a broken pipe or underground water leak, follow the steps below:
- Before beginning this process, you want to turn off every faucet and appliance in your home that uses water. This includes your ice maker. When doing this, do not turn off the main shut off valve, just the faucets, and appliances.
- Locate your water meter and open the cover so you can view the gauge that tells you about your water usage.
- On the gauge, mark the rim where the needle is currently pointing so you can remember this value.
- Next, you are going to wait for at least 30 minutes, with all the water shut-off, and then return to your water meter.
- Check the gauge and see if the needle has moved from your original mark. If so, you have a leak somewhere in your plumbing system.
- If the leak is underground, it’s nearly impossible for you to locate its exact position. You can look for sinkholes or mushy ground in your yard, but this is just a rough estimate. You will have to call a professional plumber to help address the issue.
What to Do if You Find a Leak
If you discover that you have an underground plumbing leak, immediately turn off the water source and if you cannot get to a shutoff valve shut off the main to the house. If you cannot turn the water to your home off, call in an emergency professional plumber.
Call In the Pros at ACE
If you can’t turn off the water on your own or can’t locate the source of the leak, you should immediately call your friends at ACE Home Services. We will send one of our trained and experienced plumbers to your home or place of business to help you locate the leak and effectively fix the issue. Contact ACE today at tel:+16024836295 to schedule a service call.