- Posted by ACE Home Services
- On March 13, 2017
- ACE Home Services, frozen pipes, Plumbing
Although winter temperatures in Arizona are often mild and rarely feel dangerous, the pipes in your home are still susceptible to damage. Many homeowners direct their attention to their furnace during winter weather, but there are other areas that you should be mindful of when it comes to maintaining your home. When the temperature falls below freezing, the water in your pipes may freeze and cause a variety of issues. When ice forms inside pipes, it can block the flow of water and cause pressure issues. This is best case scenario. In a worse situation, the ice in your pipes can expand and break the pipes, leading to costly leaks and potential flooding. Keep reading to learn some useful tips on how to prevent these problems from occurring and help keep your home in top condition throughout winter.
Preventative Tips to Protect Your Pipes This Winter
If you experience a breakdown with your furnace or heating unit during the middle of winter, your pipes are susceptible to freezing during the time it takes to replace or repair the unit. Prevent this from happening by scheduling a winter tune-up before the season begins, helping ensure the safety and health of your furnace throughout the winter.
- Expose Your Pipes: During cold nights, it can be beneficial to open the cabinet doors under your sink, and leave them open overnight. This allows the heat within your home to directly warm the pipes and keep them from freezing.
- Start Wrapping: If you know that you have pipes that are risk for freezing, wrap them with insulation to give them extra protection from the cold. You can even use heated tape that is specifically designed for pipes, adding another layer of protection.
- Educate Yourself: Many homeowners are not aware of where all their pipes are located, or which pipes may be at risk. Contact one of ACE’s expert plumbers to do a full audit of your plumbing system and detect any risks that can threaten your home.
Experience a Problem? ACE Has Got You Covered!
If one of your pipes freezes or you experience a leak, make sure you know where the main shutoff valve for your home’s water supply is located. Turn off this valve to prevent major flooding and extensive damage from occurring, and call ACE immediately. We offer plumbing services in Phoenix, Az and will help you find a solution so you can go back to enjoying the holidays without worrying about your home.